Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Pizzucchini

These pizza zucchini boats are AMAZING! Very easy, healthy, and filling. My kids loved them, and even Scott said this is a definite "make again".

Ingredients:
4 large zucchini cut length wise
1 lb ground turkey
1/4 c. onion diced
2 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
1 c. pizza or pasta sauce (try to keep the calories under 100 for a 1/2 c.)
2 tbsp grated Parmesan
1/2 c. mozzarella cheese, shredded
optional * 2 tbsp basil, 2 tbsp oregano

Instructions:
Pre-heat oven to 400 degrees. Coat a 13x9 baking dish with non stick cooking spray. Set aside. In a large skillet combine, ground turkey, onions, garlic powder, salt and pepper (add basil and oregano if you desire). Cook over medium high heat until turkey is brown and cooked through. While the turkey is cooking make the zucchini boats. Use a melon baller to scoop out the insides. This will make 8 long zucchini boats. Place them in the 13x9 baking dish, side by side.

Once the ground turkey is browned, add the pizza/pasta sauce and Parmesan cheese to the skillet. Simmer for 5 minutes while the sauce thickens. Spoon mixture into zucchini boats, sprinkle mozzarella cheese over the top of each boat.

Bake for 10 to 12 minutes or until cheese is golden brown.

*I chopped up the insides from the zucchini and added that to my meat mixture. I didn't add the extra spices, but that is because I knew my pizza sauce had a lot of flavor. And the next time I make this I will cut the garlic to 1 tsp rather than 2 tsp.
-Mc

Recipe found here.

No comments:

Post a Comment